Please send resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "Academy Front Desk"
Reports To: Office Manager/Physicians
Job Summary: Perform medical receptionist duties utilizing specific knowledge of insurance requirements, government regulations, and practice policies. Duties include maintaining positive customer relations, scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, making outbound referrals, scheduling admissions and diagnostic tests, compilation of reports and other correspondence.
Education and Experience:
· Experienced in the use of personal computer and peripheral equipment
· Ten-key by touch skills
· Typing skills with a minimum of 45 wpm with accuracy
· Experienced in the use of personal computer applications such as Word and Excel
· High School diploma or equivalent
· One year of experience in a related field
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Answer incoming phone calls professionally and courteously. Route calls appropriately and/or take clear messages. All patient phone messages are documented appropriately and routed to the designated individual in a timely manner.
· Remove phones from call forwarding to the answering service every morning. Pick up any messages taken by the answering service and route appropriately in a timely manner.
· Ensure the phones are forwarded to the answering service before leaving the office for any period of time.
· Pleasantly greet patients, guests, and other visitors as they arrive, making sure to make and maintain eye contact with the individual.
· Maintain patient sign-in log in a timely and confidential manner.
· Maintain practice/providers’ appointment calendars.
· Present patients with necessary forms upon arrival. Understand and communicate the meaning of the forms, including HIPAA and other regulatory information, to patients. Maintain patient demographic information within the chart to insure all required signatures are present and that regular updates are recorded. Obtain permission to file insurance on patient’s behalf with annual update, as well as obtain Advance Beneficiary Notices (ABN) where appropriate.
· Check patient demographic forms for completeness and verify accuracy. Photocopy (or scan) all insurance cards and driver’s licenses. Identify standing of insurance carriers (primary, secondary, tertiary, etc.)
· Verify patient’s insurance eligibility utilizing all resources available in the practice including telephoning carriers, accessing carrier internet sites, using pay-for-service verification and eligibility companies, and all other tools provided by the practice.
· Collect deductibles, co-payments, and other fees as required by insurance carriers. Understand and effectively communicate insurance carriers’ requirements to patients. Understand and effectively communicate practice’s policies regarding self-paying, uninsured, or indigent patients. Document all patient payments and balance at the end of the day.
· Demonstrate knowledge of insurance plan requirements including pre-certification, deductibles, post-op days, etc.
· Assemble patient demographic information into patient charts as well as enter patient demographic information into practice management system accurately and within a timely manner, as determined by practice policy.
· Pull medical records for next day’s visits prior to end of business day. Ensure chart is fully prepared for following day. Maintain medical record files in an orderly fashion so that charts can be located quickly.
· Make appointment reminder calls to all patients as indicated in the practice’s policies.
· Coordinate hospital admissions and tests for patients, as required.
· Obtain precertification for required procedures and/or referrals to specialists. Forward precertification information to appropriate party and maintain information in patient’s medical record.
· Call in prescription medications as directed by the physician.
· Upon patient departure ensure that all charges have been recorded on the fee tickets.
· Route documentation such as lab results, consultation letters, etc. to the appropriate staff member.
· Understand and participate in all compliance programs including, but not limited to, (T)OSHA, HIPAA, CLIA, OIG, and Safety programs.
· Demonstrate understanding of practice policies as set forth in the Employee Manual and all Policy and Procedure documents. Comply with all practice policies.
· Participate in orientation and training opportunities as they become available.
· Effectively communicate with patients and co-workers.
· Demonstrate ability to work without harm to self, patients or co-workers.
· Demonstrate ability to learn and adapt.
· Demonstrate understanding of practice management software, with the ability to apply oral and/or written/electronic communication techniques.
· Have a working knowledge of medical terminology, CPT and ICD-9 codes.
· Maintain professional ethics and attitude with staff, physicians and patients at all times.
· Perform all other tasks as requested by the Office Manager or by the physician.
· Identify problem areas and communicate issues to the Office Manager for consideration/resolution.
Must be able to sit, walk, stand, type for extended periods of time. Must be able to lift weight up to 50 pounds.